ch2 pg 13-14

WHAT Samantha, Greenie and Chucky did was open up a house. The house controlled all the bets that the bookies and runner turned in. They set up their own betting line. It was based upon the same line everyone else had, it was just that they modified it according to the action that was coming in.

Suppose on Tuesday, team A was favored over team B by six. Everyone was betting on the favorite, team A, so much so that there was no place to lay off the difference. Now the houses simply raised the line to create some action on team B. On Wenesday, team A was no favored by seven and a half. Now the people who were waiting for just a thing to happen put their action in. They thought that team A would win, but not by more than a touchdown. If they were team B bettors, they were waiting to get that extra one and half points. They hoped team B would at least play close and the extra points would provide their winning margin.
The object of the house was to take equal amounts of action on both teams, that way they made the juice without any risk. The juice money could be used to actually gamble on certain games.
Tiger Shark cames, I thought.
"Samantha, do you have any direct contact with snyone other than Greenie?"
"Just Chucky and Greenie. Oh, I used to see the runner once in a while." She was beginning to slur. "You think you can help Mr. Darling?"
"Who paid the juice?"
"I don't know what you're talking about. What money?"
I ignore her question and wrote down a few more things. The information she was giving me actually created more questions. I put my pen down and turned toward her.
Samanthat was having trouble keeping her eyes open She put her glass down and leaned back on the couch. Her eyes popped open and she gave me a brave smile.
"I've been up all night trying to figure out what to do," she said.
"Why don't you come with me and rest a while. You've been through a lot and you'll be safe here." I took her hand and helped her off the couch.
"You'll help, won't you?"
Samantha's knees were giving out. I put my arm around her slim wsist and led her to one of my spare bedrooms.
"Don't worry, I'll try to take care of our problem."
It was a long time since I had tucked in a beautiful woman. She smiled again as I helped her lie down.
"I have some things to do. I'll be back before you wake up."
I gently closed the door behind me and wondered what I had gotten myself into.

No comments:

Post a Comment